STATE UNIVERSITY OF NEW YORK
·DOWNSTATE MEDICAL CENTER
450 CLARKSON AVENUE, BOX 1194, BROOKLYN, NEW YORK 11203
|Department:||DIVISION OF COMPARATIVE MEDICINE||Job Title:||DIRECTOR AND ATTENDING VETERINARIAN|
|Professional Rank:||HS||Descriptive Title:||DIRECTOR & ATTENDING VETERINARIAN|
|Salary Range:||COMMENSURATE WITH EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS||Line Number:||20343|
|Additional Position Information: *Please ensure you include the 5-digit Line Number and Job Title in the subject line and body of your email submission.|
|Brief Description of Duties:
Are you looking to take your career to new heights with a leader in healthcare? SUNY Downstate Health Sciences University is one of the nation's leading metropolitan medical centers. As the only academic medical center in Brooklyn, we serve a large population that is among the most diverse in the world. We are also highly-ranked by Castle Connolly Medical, a healthcare rating company for consumers, among the top 5 leading U.S. medical schools for training doctors.
SUNY Downstate Health Sciences University, a non-profit educational institution, is seeking a full time Director of the Division of Comparative Medicine (DCM) and Attending Veterinarian.
The Director/Attending Veterinarian will report to the Institutional Official. The successful candidate will:
- Direct the strategic and daily operations of DCM, including oversight of administrative and supervisory personnel for husbandry, veterinary services, research support, study scheduling and facility design.
- manage (cost analysis and cost recovery) and strategic planning to meet projected needs of the Medical Center with relation to research support staff as well as housing and care of animals for research.
- Establish and monitor all animal care, ensuring compliance with USDA standards and the Animal Welfare Act, the Guide for the Care & Use of Laboratory Animals, NIH Public Health Service Policy, DEA Regulations, AAALAC accreditation and all state, county and city rules regulations.
- Provide oversight of the program to assure medical care of all animals, including diagnosis and treatment of disease, preventative medicine, health monitoring, and quarantine.
- Train Veterinary technical staff, and research personnel.
This position includes membership on the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) and oversight of AAALAC reviews and institutional compliance in cooperation with the IACUC and interaction with the Institutional Office.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES ARE NOT LIMITED TO THE ABOVE POSITION DESCRIPTION
|All successful candidates must undergo various background checks, maintain credentials required for continued employment and adhere to the SUNY-DMC UHB Principles of Behavior. Clinical Faculty and Allied Health professionals must receive and maintain Medical Board authorization.|
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) from an AVMA accredited program.
- Licensure by the New York State Board of Veterinary Medicine.
- Ten (10) years of experience in a laboratory animal facility with six (6) years of experience in a managerial role as Director/Attending Vet or Associate Director/Clinical Vet.
- Direct research experience as a principal investigator or direct oversight of research support staff.
- Six (6) years previous IACUC membership.
- Experience with a diverse investigational species population, including USDA covered species and large animals; with expertise in neuroscience studies using rodent and macaque models.
- History of successful grant writing.
- Board certification by ACLAM or ACVIM preferred.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills (both oral and written).
- Ability to analyze, prioritize and delegate resources while maintaining a positive and collegial interaction and cooperation with staff at all levels to promote and facilitate effective research.
- Computer literacy and familiarity with implementation of Facility Management software.
|Posting ID: 10873||Ref #: FAC/20343-18|
Persons interested in the above position should submit a resume along with a cover letter to ==>
Please include: Job Title( DIRECTOR AND ATTENDING VETERINARIAN ), Line( 20343 ) and PostingID( 10873 )
Closing date for Receipt of application: Open Until Filled
SUNY Downstate Medical Center offers a competitive salary and benefits package.
SUNY Downstate Medical Center is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, creed, age, disability, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, familiar status, pregnancy, predisposing genetic characteristics, military status, domestic violence victim status or criminal conviction.